Welcome to the Wild Side, a podcast that discusses the world of modern employee relations ten minutes at a time. In this episode, host Alan Wild discusses trade unions and the source of their power and influence, power-based systems and rights-based systems, and the impact of culture and maturity on collective bargaining. Alan is the Global Affairs Director of the HR Policy Association, the leading voice of chief human resources offices today.
There are concepts in global employee relations that are important to grasp. No one can understand the labor codes and practices in all of the countries in which their company operates. But, some broadly-based rules apply across the board. Understanding these concepts helps a global leader manage governance and oversight and to judge employee relations risk effectively.
- The 7 Universal Principles for Negotiators.[1:09]
- Trade union power comes in two forms. [3:35]
- Two lessons derived from power-based and rights-based countries. [6:00]
- How national culture influences the negotiating climate. [8:21]
- Characteristics of mature and immature economies and how it affects employee relations. [10:53]